Use these tips and tools listed below for property protection, emergency supply kits so you and your family can feel better prepared for hurricane Irma.
Things to Do in Advance before the Storm:
- Put up hurricane shutters or 3/4 inch of plywood for each window of your home
- Park your car in a garage
- Access your property and make sure to remove all damaged tree limbs from your trees
Things You Can Do Right Before a Storm:
- Bring in all outdoor patio furniture, flower pots, trash cans, and any other objects that could be picked up by heavy winds.
- Strap down boat if on a boat lift.
- If you don’t have a garage or carport park your car closest to a building, away from trees and poles
- Fill your gas tank up in your car.
- Get emergency cash from the bank
- Turn your refrigerator to the coldest setting
- Fill up bathtub, sinks with water for flushing toilets or bathing so you are prepared if you lose electricity
- Charge cell-phone
Emergency Supply Kit
- Purchase 1 Gallon supply of water per person per day
- Non-perishable food for every family member and pet
- Manual can opener for canned foods
- First-aid kit includes bandages, antiseptic, tape, a compress, and pain reliever medication
- Battery powered flashlights
- Cell phone charger
- Candles and matches
- Radio with Extra Batteries